Original content from | Commercial Services | Talent Partnerships
Your epoints

How To Deal With Noisy Neighbours

How To Deal With Noisy Neighbours

Noisy neighbours can make life a misery so we here at VideoJug take you through some useful steps to deal with noisy neighbours. Take action quickly and learn how to deal with anti-social behaviour with our guide.

Step 1: Consider the situation

If your neighbours are causing an unreasonable level of disturbance to your life, you will want to take action quickly. But before you do anything, take time to make sure you have the situation straight in your own mind. Ask yourself the following questions: What is the disturbance? What effect is it having on me? What would I like to do to resolve the problem? You may find it useful to write some notes.

Step 2: Talk to your neighbour

It may be possible that your neighbour is unaware of the disturbance their noise is causing you. First you should try talking to your neighbour face to face. If possible, choose a time to visit when the noise is not taking place. This will let them know you are not trying to intrude on their activities, but would like them to be more considerate of your needs. Be courteous, polite, and willing to listen to their point of view. Remember, they might not realise they are causing a problem. But be clear about what the problem is and how it affects you. If they are apologetic but the problem later persists, try talking to them a second time.

If you feel nervous or intimidated by your neighbour, take a friend, partner or other neighbour with you when you visit. They can act as a witness should your neighbour lose their temper and may be able to help diffuse a situation. Also keep a mobile phone in your pocket, and walk away if you feel threatened in any way. If you are seriously concerned about your safety, don't go at all and pursue the matter officially.

Step 3: Take notes

Keep a record of all conversations you have with them.

Step 4: Write a letter

If the problem continues, try writing your neighbour a letter. This may seem formal, but it can be an effective way of communicating if talking doesn't seem to work. Take time to compose the letter, writing a draft version first. Then type or write it up neatly. Your neighbour is more likely to heed a considered letter rather than a scrawled note on a scrap of paper. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter. This is evidence that you have tried to resolve the situation yourself and will be of interest to your local authority should it become a formal complaint.

Step 5: Keep a diary

Make a note of each incident of noise disturbance, recording the time it occurred, the type and volume of the noise, and the effect that it had on you. This will help you to be specific when dealing with your neighbour, and again will serve as evidence should you need to pursue a formal complaint.

Step 6: Find a mediator

If you are unable to resolve the issue yourself, consider involving a trained mediator. They will invite you and your neighbour to sit down together and help you to reach an amicable resolution. Community mediation services are available free of charge from the charity Mediation UK.

Step 7: Contact your Local Authority

Look in the telephone directory to find the contact details for your Local Authority. They will be able to advise you on what further steps you can take to help resolve the situation. If the matter has become very serious, then ask to register a formal complaint against your neighbour with the Environmental Health Department.

Step 8: The Environmental Health Department

You are likely to receive a visit from an Environmental Health Officer who will discuss the issue with you and let you know how they can help. Your neighbour is likely to receive a notice that a complaint has been made against them. This notice will not identify you as the complainant. The Environmental Health Department will first try to resolve the matter with your neighbour informally, but should this fail and the noise is deemed a "statutory nuisance", then the matter may be taken to court. Your neighbour may be served with an Abatement Notice ordering them to stop