How To Make A Rag Rug
A rag rug is not only fun to make but is also cheap and warm! In this step-by-step guide, Christine MacLeod from Weaver's Cottage in Kilbarchan, a National Trust Scotland property, shows you how to make a rag rug for your home.
You Will Need
- a large piece of fabric
- old clothes or scraps of fabric
- Hessian is a great, cheap and widely available fabric to use as a base for your rug.
- Old clothes are very good for making rugs with since they are thick and strong.
- Leave a 5-6cm space around the edge of the hessian / base fabric so you can fold it under and make a neat edge.
- Dark colours are best to use for your rug, since it will be on the floor and likely to get dirty!
- As you add fabric to the rug it can get very heavy so it's a good idea to start from the centre and work outwards.
- Sewing another piece of hessian / base fabric to the back of the rug will protect the back and help it to last longer.