Step 1: You will need
- 120 ml olive oil
- 3 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ltr fish stock
- 250 g tinned tomatoes
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 5 ml cayenne pepper, to taste
- 450 g white boneless fish, cod, sea bass or monkfish, cut into small chunks
- 900 g mixture of crab, shrimp, and mussels, for mussels, scrubbed with the beards removed
- fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large pot
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 ladle
Step 2: Gently fry the vegetables
Heat up the olive oil in a large pot and add the onions, garlic, leeks, celery and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are clear and soft.
Step 3: Add the stock
Next, add the stock, tinned tomatoes and white wine. Bring it all to simmering point, add the cayenne pepper and season according to taste.
Step 4: Add the fish to the pot
Put all the fish, including the shellfish with the shells still on, into the pot. This adds to the flavour of the soup. Continue to simmer until the fish is cooked; about fifteen to twenty minutes.
Step 5: Garnish and serve
Once the fish is thoroughly cooked, serve in bowls with sprinkled parsley to garnish. You could also serve this soup poured over pasta.