Dan Sharp (Green Family Expert) gives expert video advice on: What are Volatile Organic Compounds VOCs?; What is mercury?; Why is mercury dangerous to people and the environment? and more...
What are Volatile Organic Compounds VOCs?
VOCs are a variety of different chemicals that are emitted as gases from different products that are solid and that are liquid. You can find them in paints, pesticides, and different cleaners, and that usually leaves that chemical smell.
What is mercury?
Mercury is a metal that's liquid at room temperature, and it is harmful because if it is ingested, it can cause nerve damage, so it can affect the way you see, hear, walk, and talk. It's important to keep it out of the environment because if it is vaporized, it can mix with the snow or rain and get into our water systems, and then fish eat it, and in turn, us. So, something to really be careful of.
Why is mercury dangerous to people and the environment?
Mercury is harmful because if it's ingested it can cause nerve damage. It can affect the way a person walks, talks, hears, sees and also it can vaporize and get into the water and then fish eat it, and that's how we can ingest it. Overall, it's something that we should be really careful of.
What products around my home might contain mercury?
Some products around the home that might contain mercury are old thermostats, fluorescent lights, and old computer equipment like cellphones and computers, so you should be careful when disposing of those.
How can I safely dispose of products that may contain mercury?
Prior canteen mercury are considered household hazardous wastes, so you should find out if there's going to be a household hazardous waste collection in your area. There's also a website called Earth 911 that has lots of information about how to dispose of different things like that.