Original content from | Corporate Services | Talent Partnerships
Your epoints

How do I claim back tax?

This film is part of the series "How To Claim Back Income Tax"

How To Claim Back Income Tax

George Bull (Head of Tax, Baker Tilly) gives expert video advice on: How do I claim back tax?

How do I claim back tax?

If you're an employee and you think the pay-as-you-earn system has meant you've paid too much tax, the it is your right to phone up the tax office, give them your reference number, and they will send you the forms necessary to claim back any tax overpaid in the previous year. If your circumstances change within the year, for example you become entitled to more allowances, then it's worth telling the tax office immediately, so those allowances can be fed into your code number and the right amount of tax will be deducted for the current year. It's always better to pay the right amount going through if you can, rather than to pay the tax man too much in the first place and then have to claim it back later on.